Monday, March 10, 2008

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle

I recall past scandals, with their logs of text messages sent to Congressional pages, their descriptions of seedy encounters in airport restroms.

So I must admit to a certain partisan satisfaction when New York Governor Eliot Spitzer (D-NY), smug and self-righteous, admitted to involvement with paying for services which he ought to have got for free, or done without. Perhaps relief is a better descriptor than satisfaction -- relief that it isn't someone with whom I share a philosophy. But I am disappointed whenever anyone fails in their struggle over wickedness.

I must admit to a certain partisan satisfaction, no, anticipation when I hear that in all likelihood Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich (D-Chicago) continues the long standing Illinois tradition of political corruption, or Senatory Barack Obama (D-IL) is not forthcoming about his relationship with that same corruption. But I am disappointed whenever anyone fails in their struggle over wickedness.

I must admit to a certain partisan satisfaction, no, gloating when Governor Jennifer Granholm (D) of Michigan is caught refusing to pay taxes for her reelection financing. No matter how complicated the tax code is, the IRS is very clear when you owe them money, and ignoring that is really poor judgement. But I am disappointed whenever anyone fails in their struggle over wickedness.

But then I realized something. With each of these scandals of public malfeasance and abuse of the public trust, Americans have one less reason to trust their government.

And that is a cause for celebration, howsoever how it comes about.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Blog stats

Add to Technorati Favorites