Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It's the inspiration, stupid.

I've gotten kind of bored with politics lately.

The discussion on the blogs seems on the one hand to be too process-oriented, and on the other to be driven by the latest media frenzy or blogolicious kerfuffle. I know it's important to keep track of the mechanics and the numbers, but reading about the polling numbers in Ohio-4 and whether Giuliani or Romney do better against Obama or Hillary makes my eyes glaze over. Or maybe all four of them just make my eyes glaze over.

I want to be inspired. I think most people are like that. Democrats mistake their shtick, which is getting liberals to shake their fists in guilty rage at the injustice of life, for inspiration. Conservative leaders need to inspire people in order to be successful. The numbers will take care of themselves.

It's far too easy, when focusing on the mechanics and the numbers, to emulate success, or even apparent success. If one candidate is making headway in the polls with a particular stance on an issue, the others are tempted to take that same "stand", which is of course not a stand except in the smallest sense.

I don't want candidates invoking Reagan, or even Adams or Jefferson. I mostly know what Reagan and Jefferson would say; tell me what you say. Don't tell me it will be easy, because nothing worthwhile ever is.

I think it's time to revisit what I want.


Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Blog stats

Add to Technorati Favorites